What we see:
- Yields attitudes and actions
- Understands it may or may not be true
- What is not + What is + What can be
What does a University or Church see?
- Past – “Hold the fort” mentality
Tradition – Pleases our forbearers
Orthodox, but not opportune
- Present – “Status Quo” mentality
Don’t rock the boat – Pleases our constituency
Secure, but not satisfying
- Future – “Visionary” mentality
Serves our age best by always becoming
Risky, but not rancid
We need the past – the value of tradition (as long as it serves).
We need the present – the value of continuity (as long as it works).
We need the future – the value of anticipation (as long as it’s true).
Bill Coker’s outline notes for a message (1991). You fill in the application.